Friday, October 06, 2006

The Skinny Pant is Back. Bring Back the Dove Girls!

The late, as in dead, Kate* Audrey Hepburn is starring in a new Gap commercial. She wants to dance in her skinny black pants, and Gap, Inc. is telling you that these ARE in fashion and you MUST go out and buy them if you are to remain fashionable.

Fine. The creepiness of the dancing dead Hepburn aside (shame on you, Hepburn estate), I'm already sick of the Skinny Black Pant ads on television and the print ads that are popping up all over every damn bus stop all over Chicago. I'm really missing the Dove Girl ads from last year. Any why is the word "pant" singular? Why isn't it "pants?" Is this a marketing thing, a fashion thing or a bad grammar thing in the name of marketing and fashion? Regardless, I am truly thankful that Gap, Inc. makes a great deal of their print ads available for download on their site.

Here's a typical urban scene. Can you spot the Gap advertisement?


Yes, there it is. And this is but one piece of eye-litter in the Gap's latest advertising campaign. Here it is a little closer:


And here's the ad featuring a woman who is (thank god for her!) completely on the fashion-ball:


But, like I said, I am thankful that Gap makes their photos available for download. Here's my take on their campaign:


(click for larger image)

* (When I originally published this post, I made mixed up my Hepburns. Pardon me for my dumbassery, and thank you to the anonymous commenter for informing me.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Audrey Hepburn. Not Katherine. Both legends, but two completely opposite personalities. Did you see the Jay Leno take on it? It's the Fatass Black Pant video.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Rant-N-Roll said...

Oops. Confusing those two starts was quite the dumb ass thing to do on my part. I didn't see the Leno video, but I'll be googling it soon. Thank you!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK! You have been missed by all of Chicago, especially me! p.s. What ever happened to the ant farm?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Rant, I've been out of the blog world for way too long but wanted to see who of my favorite folks are still around. I see you're sorta in and out. Still love your rants, hope you are well :)

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Audrey Hepburn over the smug Dove porkers any day.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home